Frequently Asked Questions

What you need to know about Auckland ICT Graduate School
Auckland ICT Graduate School

Frequently Asked Questions

As an international masters student, what sort of immigration visa do I need?

International masters students require a student visa that also allows them to work full-time. This is to allow students to take the mandatory internship component of the masters programme.

Are there any scholarships that I could apply for to support my studies?

There are no scholarships specifically for the Masters programme. However, you may be eligible to apply for a number of scholarships that are offered at the host universities. We suggest you talk to people at the Scholarships offices for Auckland and Waikato.

We currently offer an Award for Maori and Pacific students to study our postgraduate certificate in information technology at Auckland. More details are available here.

As a Master of Information Technology student, do I need to arrange my own internship?

No.  The University will arrange opportunities for internships, taking into account your background and career interests. You are also encouraged to connect with industry hosts who may be of interest.

I’m interested in studying the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Technology. Should I take the full-time or part-time programme?

The full-time PGCertInfoTech programme is quite intensive and fast-moving. If you’re completely new to programming, you might want to consider the part-time programme as it offers more time to grasp key concepts. That said, the PGCertInfoTech doesn’t assume prior knowledge – but it does require a committed approach. Since the part-time delivery is online with evening-based tutorials, it’s suited to students who wish to keep their day jobs while they study.

I’m looking ahead and expecting to take the Postgraduate Certificate in Information Technology next year. Is there anything I can do to prepare?

Getting a little experience in programming would be very useful. You could self-study a basic programming course in a language like Python or Java. There are lots of resources on-line for this. If you are studying at Auckland, you could consider taking the introductory programming course COMPSCI 101.

Are the qualifications jointly awarded?

Yes, qualifications will be awarded jointly by the University of Auckland and the University of Waikato.